Friday, March 3, 2017

Testing URL redirect in bulk, including URL with https


I came across to a requirement to test a list of URL if they are redirecting correctly. 
This could be a very tedious task, if done manually as the list was long. 

I tried Fiddler (www.telerik.com/fiddler). However, it did not solve the purpose. I could not find a way to use Fiddler for URL in bulk. Also it was hard to control Fiddler as once it start capturing, it captures everything going out or coming in your computer. Lot of junk it creates. 

Then, I used this funny name tool called Screaming frog (https://www.screamingfrog.co.uk/seo-spider/). Wow, It was just the tool I was looking for. Very smooth and controlled tool. 
Here the steps to use it to test URL redirection in bulk: 

I had to run Screaming frog in “List” mode

Go to Mode and click on "List"



Create a text file and write all URL need to be tested, one URL per line. Then upload it.




 Follow the wizard and you will see result like this: 



I have squeezed the columns I am not interested in. You can in my demo, gmail.com got redirected to goole.com/gmail.Status 301 means redirection done perfectly. 


This is it, very simple and perfect tool for the purpose!


No comments:

Post a Comment